The first nine weeks will be available for download at that time for a price of $9.95. The first unit (9 weeks) will include five lessons. Authors from The Well-Trained Mind reading lists are marked in blue type. The required books for Unit 1 can all be purchased at Amazon.com. I have created a Listmania list with the suggested versions, which you can use for one-click shopping (select “Add All Items to Cart”). Your local library probably has most or all of these titles or you may be able to find free editions online.
- Lesson 1 includes authors Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Robert McCloskey. Grammar Stage students will read “The Speckled Band” and “The Blue Carbuncle” (the Stepping Stone Classics adaptation is what I suggest you use, although you can use the original texts if you prefer). Logic Stage students will read The Hound of the Baskervilles. The Family Read Aloud selection is Homer Price by Robert McCloskey.
- Lesson 2 includes authors Frances Hodgson Burnett, Robert Bolt, and Oscar Wilde. Grammar Stage students will read A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Logic Stage students will read A Man for All Seasons by Robert Bolt and The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. The Family Read Aloud selection is The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
- Lesson 3 includes authors Johanna Spyri, Edward Hale, and Carlo Collodi. Grammar Stage students will read Heidi by Johanna Spyri. Logic Stage students will read The Man without a Country by Edward Hale. The Family Read Aloud selection is The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi.
- Lesson 4 includes authors Andrew Lang, Margaret Mitchell, and Louisa May Alcott. Grammar Stage students will read Uncle Remus: The Complete Tales (selected stories) and The Blue Fairy Book by Andrew Lang (selected). Logic Stage students will read Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. The Family Read Aloud selection is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott.
- Lesson 5 includes authors Jack London and L. M. Montgomery. Grammar Stage students will read The Bravest Dog Ever: The True Story of Balto by Natalie Standiford. Logic Stage students will read The Call of the Wild by Jack London. The Family Read Aloud is Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery.
This is a lot of material to cover so you may wish skip some selections or take more than nine weeks to cover all the material.